Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Another Battle

Well I got out and ran today, but it was another struggle. Things were even worse than two days ago. I felt sore again at the start, but hoped it would go away like it did during the last run. I headed out along Kelly Drive for a 5 mile run.

Early on, it was pretty clear I wasn't going to feel better during this run. I started off by running funny due to the soreness. I did develop a little smoother gait, although I'd imagine it wasn't very efficient and I'm favoring one side.

A mile into the run, I just considered throwing in the towel. I decided not to and opted to deal with the soreness. When I ran the other day, I wore looser fitting clothes. Today, they were tighter and rubbing against the infected area. That sure didn't help. I'll stick to wearing looser clothes in the future though.

The soreness continued, but I forced myself to keep going. I committed to getting to the turnaround point. I figured I'd walk home from there if needed. I eventually got there and was relieved.

Coming back, there was actually quite a bit of headwind. That felt good, but was tough to run against. Even though it was mid afternoon, the temperature was in the mid 70s. Perfect for a run.

If only my body felt perfect. I continued to struggle through the run. I had slowed down more than the other day (around 8 minute miles) and thus my lungs weren't sore. By the time I hit mile 4, my legs were becoming sore though. My infected area certainly wasn't getting any better either.

It wasn't easy, but it was a great relief to finish. Things didn't get better after stopping though. I became even sorer and more tight. I struggled to walk the several blocks home. I had to lay down immediately. After some rest, I felt much better.

I'm really not sure if I can continue running though. I'll give it a go again, but if most days are going to be like this, I might be better of just quitting until I'm 100% healed. I'd lose a lot of fitness that way, but it might be the best and possibly only option. Today was such a struggle. If nothing else, I definitely will have to run less miles than I planned to. I'm not taking these miles on as easily as I thought I would and of course the infection isn't helping that.

I might try to get out again and run before work on Friday. We'll see how I feel in the morning. I work a long 1 PM to close shift, so I don't want to mess anything up before the shift. For now, I just have to take it day by day.

5 miles - 40:04 (8:01 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment