Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Full Moon North-Bath Night Run

I was going to run in West Virginia tomorrow.  However, after being sore from the last run, I decided to get more rest going into my race.  I ran today instead.  I slept most of the afternoon, so I actually decided to run at night.

I went to the Nor-Bath Trail for the night run.  It was around 7:30 PM.  My plan was to run most of the trail.  It was nice and cool and fairly windy.  I wore a short sleeve shirt and a reflective vest over it.  I was sweating eventually, but it took awhile until that happened.

The first mile was a solid 8:30.  With the darkness of the run, I didn't even bother looking at my watch.  I really didn't care about the time.  My right calf was a bit sore early on, but eventually, I felt better.  Nothing else bothered me in the beginning.  Mile 2 was an 8:00.

I went by Bicentennial Park.  I was glad to see no cars there.  This section always makes me a little uncomfortable.  I once heard howling in the nearby fields and I often worry about the teenagers that hang out at the park.  I had no issues today.  I did see some green eyes moving around and then leave the trail.  It looked like a cat. 

I looked at my watch for the first time at 2.87 miles.  That was after a smooth road crossing.  My legs were feeling good at this point.  Mile 3 was a 7:43.  I crossed over the next road.  I came to a guy walking on the trail.  I think I startled him coming up from behind.  He was the only person I saw on the whole run.

I went through the neighborhood section.  That downhill was nice.  Then, I was on the other interesting part.  It is quite isolated.  Luckily, I know it is short and it goes into somewhat busy Northampton.  I looked at my watch for the 2nd time at the end of the trail.  I was at 4.7 miles.  Mile 4 had been 7:34.

I ran out into Northampton briefly.  The road has light traffic.  I came out to the Northampton Fire Department.  It was neat because all of their trucks were out.  I turned around at mile 5.  That mile was 7:33.

It was good to be turned around and heading back.  I was tiring a bit.  I also had some pavement to run and some uphill too.  I nearly stepped on a frog.  I was through the neighborhood section and over the next road crossing.  Mile 6 was a 7:41.

The next section was quite neat.  There isn't a lot of tree coverage.  There was a full moon out.  I decided to turn the headlamp off at times.  I ran by the moon light.  Mile 7 was a 7:29.  My left foot had been bothering me a little and my right kneecap too.  It was only minor though.

I crossed over another road and headed to Bicentennial Park.  I decided that I wouldn't look at my watch until I got to the far end park entrance.  I did that and it was 8.13 miles into the run.  It was good to be nearly done.  Mile 8 was a 7:34.

It seemed like forever to get to the Airport Road crossing.  I looked at my watch again before that.  It was around 9.15 miles at that point.  I was running pretty easy and happy with my pace.  Mile 9 was a 7:27.

I crossed over Airport Road.  I was nearly done and now looked at my watch more frequently.  I think a bat flew out in front of me.  I couldn't quite tell what it was.  Something else made a noise as I was finishing up.  It sounded like maybe and owl and it certainly startled me.  I guess I did push a little more at mile 10.  That mile was a 7:15.  I finished stronger than I started.

I felt pretty good on this nice and flat course.  It was good weather and a lovely night.  I'm as ready as I will be for the West Virginia race.  It should be nice and cool for the race.  The climbing will be a challenge.  Hopefully I can handle it fairly well.  I also hope it doesn't rain too much.  That will be my next run, on Friday morning.

10 miles - 1:16:48 (7:41 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment