Sunday, July 28, 2013

South Mountain (Lehigh) Night Run

After 20 trail miles yesterday, I wanted to run again today.  The quads were a little sore, but overall I felt like I recovered quite well.  I didn't get back from camping until almost dinner time.  I had to wait some time for my food to settle before I headed out to run.  I decided to run on the trails at Lehigh's Mountaintop Campus.  I started after 8 PM.

The plan was to run 10 miles.  I thought about parking at the bottom of the mountain, but I didn't want to get lost, since I didn't know the trails from that spot.  I hoped that the Lehigh security didn't mind my car being parked at night at the Mountaintop Campus.  I left a note on my car just in case.

The plan was to run the trail from Dave Decker's Loopy run last month.  I ran the 4.5 mile loop 4 times that day, so I figured I knew it pretty well.  Plus, there are still ribbons on the course.

It felt comfortable when I was about to start, but I know better this time of year.  It is always humid.  I think it was more damp today since it had rained.  Regardless, I was sweating early and often during the run and was glad that I went shirtless.

The run starts off downhill.  I cruised along, taking it nice and easy.  I was just enjoying the run.  I ran up the first short uphill, but after that, I walked most of the uphill sections, particularly the other early long one.

At times, the trail looked familiar.  Other times, I wasn't so sure.  Luckily, I continued to see ribbons, so I knew I was on the right track.  It was cloudy and with being in the woods, I lost visibility in a hurry.  I figured that I wouldn't need a headlamp until the second loop, but now I was regretting that I didn't have one.

I had to be careful.  Not only did I have some trouble seeing the rocks, but they were slippery too.  I sure didn't want to fall out there all alone by myself.

I figured that since it was dusk, I would see a lot of deer.  I often see them on this trail.  I was surprised that it took until almost the end of the first mile until I saw one.  I actually saw two of them and I ended up splitting them up.  Hopefully, they got back together.

At one point, I thought maybe I missed a turn.  Eventually, I came to the correct turn.  This happened later on too.  I thought I was supposed to cross the road, but that was actually farther down.  This part wasn't too bad, but I knew it would get tougher.

It was getting darker and darker and I knew the last 2 or more miles would be very rocky.  I had to take it easy downhill and take small steps.  I had to make sure that I didn't trip.  This section really winds through the woods.  I figured by now that I should probably head back at the next road crossing.  The final section would probably be too dangerous.

My decision to cut back early was quickly confirmed.  I was near the road and I saw the silhoutte of something climb quickly up a tree.  I think there were two of them.  They ran up the trees fast like a squirrel, but they were much bigger, possibly a raccoon or possum.  That made me a little uncomfortable running under them.

I came to the road crossing and the funny part of the run.  I emerged from the dark woods and there happened to be a Lehigh student running on the road.  I completely scared the crap out of him.  I had to say, "Sorry.  I was just running through the woods."  He really must've thought I was crazy.  I saw him again later on the road as I was running up the mountain.

I ran along the shoulder of the road, up the mountain.  It was less than a mile to the top.  I got to the building next to my car at exactly 4 miles.  I didn't feel like running another loop at this point, even though I had a headlamp in the car.  It was the time to just call it a night.  The 4 miles would have to do.

I might not have run as much as I wanted, but it was still a fun and quality session.  I'm also thrilled with how well I had recovered.  My quads do feel pretty sore now, so I'm glad I didn't run too much more though.

Tomorrow, I will definitely just be riding my bike.  I'm hoping that I can ride 20 to 25 miles.  That should be a good recovery exercise.  On Tuesday, I'd like to ride and run.  Summer basketball season is just about over, so I'll have more time to workout soon.

4 miles - 51:50 (12:58 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment