Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Perfect Evening for a Trexler Run

I haven't run since Sunday's long run.  I was on the bike on Monday.  I wanted to do something yesterday, particularly go for a run, but I was just too busy and couldn't squeeze anything in.  That meant that I had to run today and if I wanted to keep my weekly Trexler streak alive, this was a good time to do so.

I first went to a high school girls basketball game, so the run began around 7:30 in the evening
.  I started a little later than I would have because there was a fair right next to Trexler and they had hot air balloons.  I got some cool pictures.

All winter, I moaned and bitched about the cold and terrible weather every time I went to Trexler.  Today was one of the days I had been waiting for.  The weather was perfect.  It was in 70s, if even that warm, with low humidity.  I wish we had more days like that.

I couldn't decided what to do.  My legs didn't feel that great and I could already tell that before the run.  I actually almost considered doing hill repeats.  Even though that would be hard, at least there would be recovery in it.  I wasn't sure about running 3 or 4 consecutive hilly miles.

I did opt to run.  The plan was to try to get 2 miles out and turn around and hopefully run all the way back.  While I've been going to Trexler every week, I haven't been doing much quality running lately.  With the perfect conditions, I wish my legs were strong enough to run the whole loop.

The legs just felt awful when I started.  I lifted the other day and have biked quite a bit.  It was more of that kind of soreness you have after lifting some weights.  I just slowed down and tried to enjoy myself.  It's funny because when I was running here all winter, I didn't think I could slow down enough and actually have easy runs, but today I did just that because I didn't have much choice.

Getting up the big hill by the Environmental Center was as easy as it has ever been.  These cool conditions were amazing.  Shortly after that hill, a deer ran across the trail in front of me.  That is always cool to see.

I continued on past the bison pen and through the meadow section.  The first mile was a very slow and relaxed 10:54.  Whenever I do get healthy again, I need to learn how to run like this every now and then.

I went over the rocks and then had the long climb to contend with.  That wasn't too bad either.  The dogs that usually bark from the houses next to the trail weren't out.  Everything was going well.  As I ran through the one section with high grass alongside the trail, I kept looking in the grass.  I came face to face with a skunk last time I ran the area.  There was no such thing today.

After turning around, there is a lot of downhill for the next mile.  When going downhill, I felt like I might have to go to the bathroom.  Thankfully, this feeling only happened on the downhill and it wasn't bad enough to make me stop. 

After the rocky section, I headed back into the zoo.  This was probably the best part of the run.  I got so lucky.  Every time I've ever run through there, the gate has been open.  Right as I was approaching the gate, it began closing.  I sprinted through just in time.  I didn't even know they closed that gate and getting around it might've been difficult.  I could've taken a road back if I needed to, but that would've been a long route.  I timed that perfectly and it was a good thing that I didn't go out any farther.

After how well everything went, I couldn't help by think of Ice Cube's "It was a Good Day" song.  I made it up the short, steep hill with no problems either.  Taking it easy was a big help today.  It allowed me to get over the hills much easier.  Of course the perfect weather conditions helped too.

At this point, I still had quite a few hills left.  I knew the only one that would be difficult would be the last one before the Environmental Center.  I figured that I could probably will myself up that one if needed.  My legs still weren't great, but they got better as the run went along.

I even somewhat cruised up that final hill today.  I was breathing pretty good by the end of it, but there wasn't even a single thought of quitting.  It was a very solid 4 mile run.  I only wish I could've felt stronger and done even more.

Since I ran so easy today, I'm hoping I can run a tempo run tomorrow.  That will depend greatly on if my legs are recovered and feel better than they did today.  If not, it's no big deal.  I have a tough Dave Deck Loopy Run coming up on Saturday anyway.  Some additional rest wouldn't hurt.

4 miles - 41:35 (10:24 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment