Saturday, April 6, 2013

Wonderful Fast Philly Run

I was heading to Philly this afternoon for the Drexel Women's NIT Championship.  I don't get to run in my old stomping grounds anymore, so I figured I might as well run along the river.  Originally, I was thinking about speedwork today, but after feeling beat up yesterday, I decided to just go for a normal run.  The plan was 5 miles total.

It was perfect weather for a run.  It was in the mid 50s.  There was a little breeze along the river, but it was comforting.  I knew it would be a crazy crowd for a Saturday evening.  That was fine though.  I wore my GoPro camera and everyone must've thought I was nuts with a device strapped to my head.

I started off at a comfortable pace.  That changed quickly though.  As I was passing someone along Boathouse Row, one guy passed me and then another one.  Rarely did I ever get passed when I ran down there, so that was a shock.

I don't have a problem being passed if that person is faster than me.  These two annoyed me because I don't think either could hold that pace for very long.  The first guy was wearing cotton and basketball shorts.  The second guy at least looked semi legit.

This is an awesome place to run, but after running it almost everyday, I began to hate it.  It was great today though, since I don't run here often anymore.  I certainly do miss the competition like these two guys provided.  I was feeling good, so I picked it up a little.

The guy wearing cotton slowed down and I nearly passed him before he took a different route.  The other guy was at least faster.  I was reeling him in too.  If I really wanted to, I could've pushed it more and laid down a really fast mile.  He annoyed me because I almost caught him and then he glanced back and sped up.  I stayed right with him.  I was nearly by him as we each went around a different side of a group of walkers.  He turned around right after that.  I was very frustrated.  I wanted to see what he had.  I was only .75 miles into my run.  I'd imagine he wasn't that much farther into his.

I really wouldn't loved to have seen if he could sustain that pace for 5 miles.  I did and actually improved upon it.  My first mile was 7:37 and the second one dropped to 7:16.  I was really moving.  It was good because I don't run this hard very often.  Other than speedwork, I run everything easy.  This was more of a moderate pace and I should probably mix it in more often.

I was going to turn around at 2.5 miles, but then I realized that I would be stopping before the Art Museum when I came back.  I wanted some pictures of it.  Instead, I turned around at 2.3 miles and headed back. 

The beginning was kind of tough as the wind was at my face.  I had to adjust to it and did.  I haven't run here in so long that I couldn't remember which direction was faster.  They both seemed pretty even.  I did slow a little bit in this back half, but that was mainly because I was tiring.

Even so, my pace was still good.  The third mile was a 7:24.  It was funny when I came through the 5K point and realized that I was only about 20 seconds behind my finishing time for the 5K that I ran a couple weeks ago.  I could go a lot faster than this too.

I continued to just push through at a solid pace.  I told myself that I would slow in the final mile, but I never did.  Miles 4 and 5 were 7:31 and 7:26 respectively.  I was very pleased with the run.  I think I need to start pushing myself a little more.

Today was the complete opposite of yesterday in terms of how my legs felt.  It doesn't make sense that they could feel better at a faster pace and on pavement, but they did.  I hope this run was a big confidence booster and I'll really begin to amp it up from here on out.  My winter progress has been slow, so I need more good, speedy runs like this.

Tomorrow is a long run day.  I'd like to run 15 or 16 miles.  It will likely be on the D&L again.  I just don't know where to fit it in.  I'm going to a baseball game and want to watch an IndyCar race.  I might do it in the AM, but my body won't be well rested after the PM run today.  Another PM run after supper tomorrow is more likely.

5 miles - 37:14 (7:27 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment