Saturday, February 23, 2013

Some Company in the Rain

After two runs on Thursday, I was very happy to see the BCR group was running today at the Saucon Rail Trail.  My sore calves definitely needed a softer surface.  I was hoping to do 8 miles, but I wanted to at least get 5 miles in and get to 20 miles this week.

We finally sort of had a break in the weather today.  Of course there was a catch.  For a change, it wasn't cold or windy.  Instead, it was rainy.  It wasn't enough rain to soak you, just to make things uncomfortable.  I won't complain too much.

We had a small group because a lot of regulars were running together in a trail race.  I'm sure the weather kept the others away.  We did have a couple new people though.  One of them was from out of town and just here for the week.  Another one, Emily, was new to the group. 

I started off nice and easy running with Mertz until he got warmed up.  The pace was around 8 minutes flat.  The combination of double runs and an early morning run were tough on my legs.  They just felt dead.  I had to take it easy.

After I fell behind Mertz, I got a little discouraged.  Shayne and Emily gained ground on me fast.  I didn't think it would be long until they went flying by me.  That's sort of what happened last week too.  I usually can't hang with Mertz or Flo, but I'm typically ahead of the rest of the group.

The ladies did catch up to me as I was struggling.  They made me feel better by not blowing past me.  Emily went ahead, but Shayne stayed with me and we chatted and ran together for the rest of the run. 

I knew when I went outside that I was overdressed.  I had on a jacket to keep the rain off of me, but it was just too hot.  I had to take it off early and carry it.  That was annoying, but better than sweating a lot.

I felt better with the jacket off, but I still was feeling like crap.  Running with Shayne definitely helped though.  Having company is always a big plus.  As she pointed out, at least coming back is slightly downhill.  I definitely needed that.

We turned around at 3 miles.  I figured that if by some miracle I felt good after 6 miles, I could turn around and head back out.  Shortly after we began heading back, Emily came up behind Shayne and I.

This time, Emily hung with us.  That was great to have more company.  We were very chatty.  We talked about all different subject, from 5K races to trails and so on.  Emily grew up near the Columbia Trail in New Jersey.  I told her that the BCR ran out there once and that I had one of my best runs ever there in the fall.  I felt so good and so fast without pushing hard.  That day was weird.

Shayne was definitely correct that going back was easy.  Before I knew it we were done.  I had no trouble with my dead legs in the second half of the run.  Maybe it was the downhill or maybe it was the good conversation or maybe all of the above.  Either way, the 6 mile run was great.

Emily finished a bit ahead of Shayne and I.  I had some fun and raced Shayne in a sprint finish.  I told her that's how I always finish races and I can't ever remember losing in that fashion.  The final mile was a fast 7:40.

The trail was definitely soft thanks to the rain.  I thought my calf might be sore after this run, but it didn't bother me at all.  I guess I have to stay off of hard surfaces.  I was doing that until this past week.

I wasn't planning on running tomorrow.  Since I had no soreness today, I might try to go somewhere for a long run.  If I do, it will likely be on D&L Trail at Cementon.  I'd love to run 10 miles.  The weather could be a big factor in that.  I haven't looked at the forecast, but it rained all day today.

6 miles - 47:59 (8:00 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment