Saturday, December 8, 2012

Afternoon Long Run

The BCR ran on a hard surface, so I passed on that run today.  I was considering getting up and running at Trexler with a group there.  However, it just rained too much beforehand for my liking.  I wasn't crazy about 10 tough miles through slop.  Instead, I just waited until the afternoon to get my run in.

I was on Facebook around lunch time and it seemed like everyone I knew was posting photos of their Christmas themed runs.  That did help me get out the door.  I wasn't crazy about running alone, but 10 miles isn't too bad.

The temperature rose to a nice 45 degrees when I started.  The rained ended in the morning, but it never did clear up.  It was still a cloudy and dreary day.  I could wear my shorts and a short sleeve shirt though, so I was happy. 

I thought about running at some new places, but I didn't want to go too far.  I opted to run on the D&L Trail.  Instead of starting at Cementon, I decided to head to the Cove Road Trailhead.  I've run through there, but I haven't started from there too often.

I went back and forth trying to decide which direction to start out with.  Eventually I would head each way.  It was just a matter of whether I wanted to begin with the easier southern section or immediately climb the hill going north.

I opted to head south.  That would allow me a good warmup mile which would be slightly downhill.  I run this section the most, so the plan was to do 2 miles out and 2 miles back and then head north for the final 6 miles.

As usual, the first mile was on the slow side.  I was happy that it came in just under 8:40.  I ran yesterday, so the quads were slightly sore.  My left foot was too.  I got some new insoles, but I was afraid to try them out on such a long run.  I figured that I could just deal with any discomfort.

Early on, I passed a house and a dog barked at me and moved towards me.  I was thankful that it didn't leave the property and chase me.  I love this slight downhill section that I was running.  It made my legs feel so much better and the run was a joy early on.  I just cruised along comfortably.

I felt so good that when I hit mile 2, I just decided to keep going.  I figured that I could get to 2.5 miles and be halfway done when I got back to my car or I could go out even further and complete a full 6 miles before I hit the Cove Road Trailhead again.

My pace steadily dropped.  About fourth tenths of a mile from the 3 mile marker, I passed a guy running the other way.  I was hoping that I could catch him eventually.  I knew he had a good jump on me though.  I never did find him.

I got to mile 3 and turned around.  It was immediately difficult running the other direction.  All of a sudden, I was running a slight uphill.  I knew this would be the case until about mile 8 or so.  I just had to dig in and enjoy the run as much as I could.  I saw a bike with an annoying flashing light up ahead.  I didn't want it in my eyes, so I kept my head down.  When the bike passed, the guy said "hi" and seemed overly enthusiastic.  I thought that was odd.  Then I realized that it was Peter that used to come to the LVRR Group runs in the summer and fall.  So few people were out today and I happened to see someone that I know.

Even though this section was a slight uphill, the pace continued to drop.  The 4th mile was a solid 8:12.  The 5th mile even dropped under 8 minutes.  It was uphill and a bit of a struggle, but I just tried to focus on getting to mile 6.

Sometime around the 5th mile, I came to a guy riding one of those bikes where you are almost laying on your back.  He turned around just before he go to me.  I knew following him would make for a good pacemaker.  He was going faster than me, but not by too much.  I was worried that he would get to the house with the dog before I did.  He did and the dog barked at both of us.  It didn't chase this time either.  With my pacemaker, this 6th mile was 7:43.

I was now back to my car and it was time to work.  I just focused on the next two miles and getting up the hill.  It's not a steep hill, but it is definitely noticeable early on.  As I naturally do, I worked a little harder and my pace dropped.  I kept battling and battling.  I did feel like I was working more.

That 7th mile did seem long.  I looked at my watch a lot going to the 8th mile.  I definitely worked harder during this one.  I knew I'd have a lot of downhill to the finish.  That mile before the turnaround was a nice 7:30.

My pace was just a few seconds over 8 minutes as I headed into the final 2 miles.  It had gone down and down throughout the run.  By now, my legs weren't sore at all and I felt good.  I did feel lightheaded when I woke up today and I felt the same way as I turned around.  It almost felt like I might fall to the left.  The trail was leaning that way a little, but I felt odd.  This mile seemed to be a struggle.  Maybe I wasn't really going downhill.

As I got into the last mile, I checked my watch frequently.  I was struggling some by this point.  I guess I was finally getting tired.  With seven tenths of a mile left, I picked up the pace.  My GPS watch wasn't working right as I looked down and my pace went up.  Going downhill, my overall pace finally went under 8 minutes.  I continued to push through the finish and I was winded when I was done.  The 7:19 last mile was definitely tough.

Since I didn't run on Thursday and I wasn't around any hills on Friday, I ran my 5 hill repeats after this run.  Those were so difficult on my tired and beat up legs.  It was good to get them done though.  This was a great workout.

I'm not sure when I'll run next.  I need tomorrow off, so I'll just likely run on Monday.  My legs seem a little better than they have been.  I need to stay on the soft surfaces and continue stretching, massaging and strengthening my legs.

10 miles - 1:19:26 (7:57 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment