Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Night Run on the Nor-Bath Trail

On Wednesday, I started another comeback attempt with a 10:30 PM mile run on the Nor-Bath trail.  I haven't run since October so I was impressed that I was even able to run a mile straight through.  Last year, when I started comeback number two, it took me quite a few attempts before I could run a mile straight through.

The weather was nice and cool and perfect.  One of the hardest things when starting back up is the air.  The cold air hurt my throat and ears.  That's what prevented me from going further.  I ran at a nice pace.  If I really pushed myself, I think I could've done another half mile.  I don't want to do too much too soon though.

It has been a long few months for me.  I was hoping to run in the Run for the Diamonds on Thanksgiving Day, but my health problems finally deteriorated to the point to where I had to quit running after the Ghouls and Fools trail race.

I eventually had surgery on Dec. 12th.  I didn't realize how major the surgery was.  I always assumed that it wouldn't hamper my training much and that I would only be out a week or two.  Little did I know that I'd spend about three months in bed and wouldn't get back to running until over a month after that.

The pain was hard to deal with post surgery, but probably the worst part was being in the hospital for six days.  I took a lot of pain killers.  Almost as soon as I was allowed to have another dose, I'd request one from the nurse.  I took it almost as much to just relax me as to heal the pain.  I've never been suicidal, but that was as depressed as I ever was.  Time just went by so slowly and being trapped in that room was awful.  Add onto that that the bed was uncomfortable and I got nearly no sleep.

With the type of surgery I had because of my Crohn's Disease, I had to be reintroduced to food slowly.  At first, all my nutrition was all through IV.  Then I got to go on a liquid diet.  I wasn't even allow to eat solid food until I passed gas or had a bowel movement.  I was never so happy to do both.  Finally, I had to keep my solid food down before going home.

I eventually left the hospital on December 18th.  I was thrilled just to get out before my birthday the following day.  It was great to be home and much less depressing, even though the next few months were still very trying.  I had a catheter put in after surgery and was stuck with it for about three months.  It was so uncomfortable that I barely moved off the couch all day.  I developed an infection too.

Being immobile was tough for someone who was a runner.  What made it tougher was I had no clue when the end would come.  The catheter was only supposed to be in 6 days, but it was in much longer because I ran into some issues.  It was a huge relief when it was finally removed.  I still had some minor issues and they aren't fully healed yet.

Even though I'm not 100%, I had walked a few times and felt that I was good enough to start running again.  I walked at Trexler Nature Preserve last weekend.  A mile over the hills whipped my butt.  It was great though.  I was thinking about how that would make an insane mile repeat workout.  I was inspired by some of the Breakfast Club Runners talking about getting together to run at night.  That caused me to get out there tonight.  It felt so good to run again, even for just a few minutes.

I've haven't been one to lack motivation in my two previous comeback attempts, but I think what I've been through the last few months will keep me pushing through tough patches.  I was in a dark place with a lot of pain both physically and mentally for a few months.  When things get tough during training, I can always look back and say to myself this is nothing, that was really HARD.  I was able to use a reminder of pain in a 5K last August.  Now I should definitely be able to use this as well.  That has definitely been the worst time period of my life and I came through it.

I still have so many goals to accomplish in running.  I foolishly signed up for the Quadzilla 15K in July at Trexler.  I'm not sure I'll be anywhere close to enough shape by then, but I'll give it a try.  I just need to get healthier and stay healthy for once.  I should be on Crohn's medication soon, so hopefully that will help.

In the short term, I want start leading the group runs again with the LVRR.  On Thanksgiving, I'd like to run the Run for the Diamonds again.  That was my favorite ever.  Long term, I'm aiming to qualify for the Boston Marathon for 2014 and hopefully run a 50 miler by the end of 2013.  After that, I'll start worrying about improving my time goals and seeing how good of a runner I can become.

It was great to be back running.  I have a huge hill to climb.  It is so frustrating getting back into running.  I can't do anywhere near what I was capable of before.  I just have to take baby steps and be happy with smaller milestones.  I didn't become a good runner overnight in 2009-2010.  It took a year of hard work.  Now, I'm hoping to put in years of hard work.  Luckily, I've become a comeback veteran so I know how to do this now.  I can't wait to keep making progress.

1 mile -10:09 (10:09 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment